Company also Announces Several Other Major Accomplishments from the 2009 Year End
Hilton Worldwide has announced that, building on the record year the company had in terms of development in 2008, the next best year in the company’s 91-year history was 2009.
In 2009, despite major challenges for the hospitality industry overall, Hilton Worldwide added 302 new hotels and more than 45,000 rooms to a total count that is now more than 3,500 hotels and 585,000 rooms. In 2008, Hilton Worldwide opened 327 properties.
For the fourth consecutive year, Hilton Worldwide opened more newly-constructed guest rooms in the U.S. than any other company.* Additionally, Hilton Worldwide’s pipeline includes more than 900 hotels with more than 129,000 rooms scheduled to open.
Among many other highlights in 2009, Hilton Worldwide also:
- Signed or approved 281 hotel deals with more than 46,000 rooms.
- Moved into first place in terms of open and operating rooms in the U.S.*
- Maximized opportunities globally, with 37 percent of its pipeline of rooms now outside the U.S., compared to 15 percent only two years ago. Additionally, in 2009, 50 percent of room construction starts occurred outside the U.S. versus 17 percent two years ago.
- Increased both its market share and customer satisfaction ratings in each of its ten brands.
- Expanded its luxury portfolio by more than 100 percent within the U.S. and nearly 50 percent outside the U.S.
- Launched a new mid-tier extended-stay brand, Home2 Suites by Hilton, and approved 53 hotels for development as well as broke ground on the first property in the U.S.
- Was the only hotel company with multiple brand winners in "J.D. Power’s 2009 North America Hotel Guest Satisfaction Study." Embassy Suites ranked highest in guest satisfaction among Upscale chains for the sixth time, and Hilton Garden Inn ranked highest in guest satisfaction among Mid-Scale Full-Service chains for the seventh time.
- Received the Readers Choice "Best in Business Travel" and "Best Hotel Web Site" (Hilton.com) by Business Traveler magazine for its Hilton brand. Hilton also received many other accolades including the "Best Hotel for Meetings" and "Best Hotel for Business Services" by Executive Travel Leading Edge Awards.
- Was honored by Entrepreneur magazine when its Hampton brand was selected as the fourth-best franchise business in the U.S. in its Franchise 500® list.
- Unveiled its new name and corporate logo that better reflect the global company it is today and will continue to be in the future.
"Despite the serious challenges resulting from the macroeconomic environment, last year was an outstanding year for our company in many significant ways," said Christopher J. Nassetta, President & Chief Executive Officer, Hilton Worldwide. "As the global markets continue to improve, I believe Hilton Worldwide is better positioned than ever to achieve our mission to be the preeminent global hospitality company – the first choice of guests, team members and owners alike."
Source = Hilton Worldwide