Celebrate The New Year in style with the always-colorful Philadelphia Mummers, who march on Broad Street for the 118th time on Monday, January 1, 2018, beginning at approximately 9:00 a.m. Fans from near and far can enjoy 10,000 Mummers strutting and dancing in their exotic and glittering costumes as part of the oldest continuous folk parade in the United States. The dazzling costumes, dance and music are hallmarks of the annual parade.
Mummers Parade-goers can enjoy the extravaganza from three special performance zones on Broad Street in Center City Philadelphia, where the parade begins at City Hall. The parade route will take the performing groups down Broad Street from City Hall to Washington Avenue.
The 2018 Philadelphia Mummers Parade features five divisions, each with its own artistry, sound and customs:
· The Fancy Division, with its sequin-studded lavish costumes and feathered glamour;
· The legendary String Bands, with their glorious costumes and intricate musical arrangements combining string, reed and percussion instruments;
· The Fancy Brigades, dressed head-to-toe in sequined costumes, masks, and makeup;
· The Wench Brigades in bonnets and bloomers, waving multi-tiered parasols; and
· The Comics, who parody current political issues and pop culture.
In addition, The Pennsylvania Convention Center will once again host the Mummers Fancy Brigades Finale. Often described as a cross between a Broadway show and Mardi Gras, the Fancy Brigade Finale showcases elaborate costumes and massive props, as well as stunning, colorful performances and masterfully choreographed, four-and-a-half-minute routines set to high-energy music. The show features more than 2,500 Fancy Brigade performers, divided among 12 Fancy Brigade clubs, each working for a full year to create the themes, costumes, props and drills that comprise the show and dazzle the audiences.
For more information on this unique and colorful tradition, go to www.PhillyMummers.com or http://www.visitphilly.com/events/philadelphia/the-mummers-parade/