“A victory lap for MOMA” says the New York Times, when describing the ever popular Henri Matisse exhibit, the Cut Outs at New York’s Museum of Modern Art (the MOMA). This show, which runs through February 10th, 2015 is pulling big crowds and for good reason.
Expect to see brilliant colored cut-outs or collages, in the shape of birds, fish, marine vegetation and abstract figures. These cut outs are meticulously positioned, trying hard to evoke the balance that Matisse sought towards the end of his life. These child-like images are thought-provoking, creative crowd pleasers.
Matisse has essentially created works of art using scissors rather than paint. He has cut, colored and painted paper into various shapes, then mounted and pinned them on a range of mediums including paper, canvas and the walls of his studio.
The exhibit includes 100 works from private and public collections, including drawings, textiles and stained glass. These works are from the final years of the renowned artist’s life. He died in 1954 at the age of 84. What is clearly special about this exhibit is the testament that Matisse had always been creating and reinventing, right through to the end.
The following are some tips to help navigate this very busy exhibit, for the first-time visitors to the Matisse Cut Outs:
- The price of admission includes entrance to the Matisse exhibit. There is no extra fee.
- Non-members are required to have timed tickets for this show.
- There will be no online tickets available for same-day purchase. Same-day tickets must be purchased on-site at the Museum.
- Consider purchasing a MOMA membership, as members do not need a timed ticket. Members and their accompanied guests can enter the exhibition at any time by showing a valid membership card.
- For efficiency, arrive with your ticket already printed.
- Regular price of admission for non-members is $25, seniors $18, students $14, and children under 16 free.
- Entrance is complementary on Friday nights (4p.m. – 8p.m.), although timed tickets are still required, and are distributed at MOMA on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Visitors with CityPASS and other special ticket vouchers can pick up a timed ticket on the day of their visit. A limited number of these same-day timed tickets will be available at the Museum on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The museum tends to be less crowded in the mornings.
- Extended hours have been scheduled for January 17th & 18th, January 24th & 25th, and February 7th & 8th, on which dates MOMA will be open from 10:30 a.m.- 8:00 p.m.
- Use the free MOMA iPhone App to find out about current exhibitions.
For ticket purchases directly through MOMA, go to moma.org.
New York CityPASS ticket booklets can be purchased online at CityPASS.com or at any of the participating attractions.