The love is mutual between Aussies and Tutankhamun, with the Pharaoh breaking visitor records at Melbourne Museum and extending his stay until 4 December this year.
Welcoming up to 500,000 since it opened in April this year, the Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs exhibition originally dated to leave early November, will stay the extra month down under before leaving for his permanent residence in the new Museum in Egypt.
The exhibition shattered Melbourne Museum records before it opened earlier this year, with up to 150,000 tickets pre-sold and exceeding 500,000 visits before the end of the second last month.
“Tutankhamun is one of the most significant exhibitions ever to visit Australia. The extraordinary artefacts from ancient Egypt have attracted thousands of visitors from metropolitan and regional Victoria, as well as interstate and overseas,” Museum Victoria chief executive Dr J Patrick Greene said.
“We are delighted that the exhibition will be extended until December 4, to allow even more visitors the opportunity to experience the wonders of these extraordinary treasures from King Tut’s tomb.”
In light of the successful exhibition, Dr Greene teamed up with Harry Burton, a colleague of the founder of Tutankhamun’s tomb, Howard Carter, earlier this year to publish a personal exploration on ancient Egypt.
Egypt: a fascinating journey delves into the facts behind the artefacts, highlighting individual pieces and their emphasis and use during the Golden Age.
“Tutankhamun’s tomb was small and hastily completed, but the sheer quantity and variety of the objects placed in it is staggering,” Dr Greene said.“As an archaeologist, I am in awe of Howard Carter’s achievement, which has yielded so much information that a hasty clearing of Tutankhamun’s tomb would have denied us.”
Source = e-Travel Blackboard: N.J